Rewrites can be 600-700 words. Don’t forget 2 clean, printed copies on Friday!
1. Get rid of opinion.
2. No first- or second-person writing. That means don’t use I, me, we, our, you, us, etc. unless in a direct quote.
3. AP style.
4. Follow directions.
5. Avoid this construction: When asked about….When asked why. Turn the sentence around to state the fact and the avoid the long wind-up. Readers know you asked questions, they want answers.
6. Attribute everything!
7. Edit ruthlessly. There should be no errors in fact or names spelled wrong.
8. Make sure profile focuses on the main person and his/her voice is clear.
9. Spell checking is NOT editing. It “defiantly” is not editing!
10. You are all nice, smart people, BUT GET RID OF ALL OPINION LIKE THAT IN YOUR PROFILE RE-WRITES.